Here's some tips on how to get the most from a mentoring relationship. And remember, you can be a mentor at any age and at any level of achievement. Paying it forward is the right thing to do.
Thanks to www.catalystwomen.org for these tips.
Here's a few tips for those who want to work with a mentor:
Find a mentor:
- Look for role models (who would you like to be in 5 -10 -15 years?)
- Women leaders are not always easy to find. Ask around.
- Consider women you know, your parents know, your teachers/professors. Maybe ask the chamber of commerce, HR department of companies, look into professional organizations.
Figure out what to work on:
- Identify your goals
- Brainstorm stepping stones to get to your goal.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Make a list.
Pay it Forward:
- Plan to become a mentor yourself.
- Look for someone like you (15 - 10 -5 years younger)
- Share what you learned so far.
- Don't be afraid to learn from them too!