Saturday, May 03, 2008

Lessons Learned from Odd Jobs

I often hear people say something discouraging about their current odd job.

Maybe you have an odd job right now and are a bit discouraged by it? Fret not. There are lessons to be learned from it as well as earning some money.

When Robert Hryzek at Middle Zone Musings and Mark Goodyear publisher of High Calling Blogs & Good Word Editing asked that question, they received lots of answers. You may find these quite interesting and find that they you to not only tolerate, but actually enjoy that odd job that you might be working right now to help pay for college or while you're trying to get your "dream job".




  1. Odd Jobs, by Tanya Dennis at In The Dailies


  2. Odd Jobs, by Merrie DeStephano at Alien Drea


  3. My First Job, by Gordon Atkinson at Excellence


  4. My Life at Labor Temp, by Dan Roloff at Ramblin’ Dan


  5. Into the Ordinary, by L.L. Barkat at Seedlings in Stone


  6. Steam Cleaning Carpets, by Brad Shorr at Word Sell, Inc.


  7. Not a Fry Cook on Venus, by Dave Zimmerman at Loud Time


  8. A Lifetime of Odd Jobs, by Chris Cree at SuccessCREEations


  9. Lessons from Odd Jobs, by Dan King at Management by God


  10. What I Learned From… Odd Jobs, by Patrizia Broghammer at VoIP


  11. An Odd Lesson, by Shalene at A Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe


  12. My “Not So Odd” Jobs, by Jim Garland at The Genius’ Gumption


  13. Lessons from Odd Jobs, by Mark D. Roberts at markdroberts.com


  14. What I Learned From Picking Zucchini, by Lisa Gates at 360 Alliance


  15. What I Learned From Odd Jobs, by Sarah Stewart at Sarah’s Musings


  16. What I Learned From Odd Jobs, by Jackie Cameron at Jackie Cameron


  17. Lessons Learned From Odd Moments on the Job, by Jacob Share at JobMob


  18. Lessons From Odd Jobs: You’re Fired, by Karl Edwards at Bold Enterprises


  19. What I Learned From Sorting Apples, by Robyn McMaster at BrainBasedBiz


  20. Things I Learned Being a Popsicle Man, by Otto Haugland at The OHO Report


  21. What I Learned From Odd Jobs, by Karen Hanrahan at Best of Mother Earth


  22. I Was a Fast Food BBQ Busboy, by Brandon Sanders at Words of Redemption


  23. What I Learned From Pumping Gas, by Chris Brown at Branding & Marketing


  24. Odd Jobs vs. the One Chosen Career, by Markk at My Opinions are Important


  25. On Memes and Special Things, by Carl Holmes at thoughtsofagyrovague.com


  26. What I Learned From Being a Listening Post, by Jean Browman at Stress to Power


  27. Once Upon a Time I Was a Guinea Pig, by Marcus Goodyear at Goodword Editing


  28. My Non-Entry to MZM’s What I Learned From Odd Jobs, by Karen H. at Stop/Start


  29. What I Learned From Having a Job for a Day, by Trevor Hampel at Trevor’s Writings


  30. Snapshots From a Variety of Odd Jobs, by Jim Martin at A Place for the God-Hungry


  31. The Strangest Job I Ever Had - And Lessons Learned, by Tim Miller at Spy Journal 3.0


  32. What I Learned From Sweeping Up Hair, by Drew McClellan at The Marketing Minute


  33. What I Learned From Working in a Sweet Shop, by Joanna Young at Confident Writing


  34. What I Learned From Being a Pregnant Usherette, by Amy Palko at Lives Less Ordinary


  35. What I Learned From Really, Really Tired Feet, Robert Hruzek at Middle Zone Musings


  36. What I Learned From Two Weeks as a Tomato, by Thursday Bram at thursdaybrams.com


  37. What I Learned From Theatre Lighting, by Sam Brougher at Your Scared Seductive System


  38. A Real Saturday Post - The Odd Job, by Rebecca Miller at A Christian Worldview of Fiction


  39. I’ve Been Memed! Lessons About Odd Jobs, by Marlo B. Manitoba at The Joyful Christian Wife


  40. What I Learned From Door-to-Door Sales, by Lillie Ammann at A Writer’s Words, An Editor’s Eye


  41. Dr. Strangelove and Me: What I Learned From Riding Missiles, by G.L. Hoffman at What Would Dad Say


  42. What I Learned From Odd Jobs - How Kids Start Off on the Entrepreneurial Trail, by Yvonne Russell at Home Biz Notes


  43. Ria Kennedy used to work in an apiary, which, in case you didn’t know, was a “bee yard”. But here’s the kicker: she used to be allergic to bee stings!


Here's all the Results from the What I Learned From Odd Jobs Group Writing Project



So, the next time you're feeling a bit disgruntled with your situation, ask yourself...What lessons are you learning in the odd job that you're performing currently?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI...just found your blog...thanks for the mention in ODD JOBS, too, btw. Those are always fun projects. I like your theme of helping young women get going in their careers, too. I hope you can stop by my blog and give our readers some of your insights too.
best, GL HOFFMAN, Minneapolis
http://blogs.jobdig.com/wwds
what would dad say

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love, Chris.

If you like group writing projects, you might be interested in my other blog:

http://groupwritingprojects.com/

Have a terrific weekend